Our company is a teaching facility, based on the core belief that our food choices are the key to controlling our health. We take a very conservative 'food first' approach, checking to see how you feel and if symptoms go away when you eat our nutrient dense diet. We typically won't even talk about vitamins or other supplements until we get your diet right.
These are the reactions we're looking for, and signs that you're eating the right diet:
- normal blood sugar and moods
- improved attention and focus
- normal cholesterol and blood pressure
- improved sleep
- Decreased pain
- no digestive upset or bloating
- normalizing of weight and looking good
- decreased inflammation, decreased disease risk
- emotional balance, cheerful disposition
- improved skin, hair and nails
- and other things that you may have never guessed are related to your nutrition
Pamela Zinn MS, the owner of Holistic Nutrition Center is a Hope College graduate. Pam worked as a nurse for 30 years while her children were growing up. She contracted a 'mystery illness' and was ill for several years, going from doctor to doctor, seeking help. Being a nurse, she was a perfect patient, trying every medication and treatment prescribed. Instead of getting better, she kept getting sicker and more drained of physical and mental energy. She couldn't drive, dialing a telephone was nearly impossible, people finished her sentences, and she was literally frozen in place at times from lack of energy.
Her husband found a doctor who was interested in nutrition, and from there, things changed. She learned how to start making dietary changes that restored her energy. She started looking at food as a tool for healing. "I got my life back!"
Pam went back to school to obtain a Master's Degree in Holistic Nutrition to help other people struggling with health problems. She chose a holistic rather than a dietitian approach because she personally experienced how patients can recover when the diet focuses on all parts of the body working together.
Holistic Nutrition Center
Holistic Nutrition Center was started as a learning facility for those interested in improving their diet. The center has a large classroom that is located across the street from the Farmer's Market. Fresh market food is used in our cooking sessions.
Pam's programs were written using her own experience as a patient, knowledge as a nurse and Master's Degree in Holistic Nutrition. She graduated with high honors and her graduate level classes included: antioxidants, enzymes, digestion, weight loss, and heart health for women. These topics have become part of her programs she teaches at Holistic Nutrition Center. Her thesis topic was "Neurological Manifestations in People with Gluten Sensitivities". She enjoys working with clients who have complex health problems.
"Client health is of the utmost importance and we're committed to addressing those needs by helping to draw the connections between food and health."
Participants in our programs learn and understand what changes to make. It becomes second nature to make healthy decisions while at the grocery store, a restaurant or when traveling after completing a program at Holistic Nutrition Center.
Clients learn to customize their own food plan with foods they like, so their whole family can benefit. As a result, a high percentage of our business is from referrals.
We welcome the opportunity to earn your trust so we can show you how to use food to improve your family health. Success to us means that you learn our program, understand it, and apply it so you can graduate from our care. We're here for you only as long as you need us.
What Makes Us Different:
- We're not a medical center so we don't diagnose or treat. We listen and we help you sort out your diet.
- Every diet should be unique to the person, and complement their family and lifestyle.
- Though we do have a limited amount of top quality nutrients, we don't focus on selling expensive products that you don't need.
- We focus on prevention and wellness. We don't do medical food treatments. For that you would see a dietitian.
- We don't often use meal replacements and don't use degraded food as meals. Our clients eat and enjoy real food.
- We don't use fad diets and we don't do medical diets. For weight loss our clients eat the same healthy meals that they make for the whole family. For cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, cancer prevention: we want you to sleep well, have energy, enjoy life and not trade one disease for another. We believe that a practical family diet that is individualized is the best diet for most people.
- We don't use words like 'cheat', nor do place blame on you if the diet doesn't give us the right result. We are focused on what you can and what changers you're willing to make.
What makes us different is that we see you as an individual living in a household where everyone wants to feel good, be productive, to get along, and look forward to doing fun things. We believe that our clients would rather stay healthy with diet and lifestyle than manage diabetic pumps and cancer surgery bills, so we show clients what can be done with food.
We believe that adjusting the diet is worth a try
especially when the person is being treated for symptoms.
Our goal is that you feel good, sleep well, are alert and focused, and able to address everyday stresses with an even temperament. We want you to eat food that you enjoy, that tastes good and is affordable and is practical for your family. If your symptoms start to go away, and you start to feel better, your bonus is that your entire lifestyle can improve.
Our common-sense approach makes us different.